What resources can me and my child(ren) refer to?

Help with separation


Resolution is a group of family lawyers and other professionals committed to taking conflict out of family disputes. Members abide by a code of practice, which encourages solutions based on the needs of the whole family and, particularly, the best interests of children. Includes fact sheets and directories of local solicitors and mediators.

W: www.resolution.org.uk

Divorce and children

Hosted by divorce coach Christina McGhee, this site offers helpful information, practical advice and tips for separated parents on how to help children manage family change.

W: divorceandchildren.com

Family Mediation Council

Explains how family mediation works and includes a search facility for finding a local mediator.

W: familymediationcouncil.org.uk

Sorting out separation

A government website that brings together a range of information and tools to help you through a relationship breakdown.

W: sortingoutseparation.org.uk

Parent Connection

Resources to help separating parents work things out for themselves.

Includes the Listening Room, a live chat service, and parent forums.

W: theparentconnection.org.uk

Splitting Up? Put Kids First

An online interactive parenting plan offered by One Plus One, and includes links to videos that help you to communicate better with your ex.

W: splittingup-putkidsfirst.org.uk


Cafcass support children and young people who are going through care or adoption proceedings, or whose parents have separated and are unable to agree about future arrangements for their children.

They have resources for children and adults, including the Parenting Plan which parents can use to note down what they’ve agreed about arrangements for their children.

T: 0300 456 4000

W: cafcass.gov.uk


Relationship advice and information for parents who are separating or have separated. Relate have a wealth of resources on their website for separating families, including an interactive guide, ‘What next?’– the parents’ guide to separation.

T: 0300 100 1234

W: relate.org.uk

Other support organisations

Voices In The Middle

Information and support for young people whose parents are separating

W: voicesinthemiddle.org.uk

Home Start

Support for parents

T: 0116 464 5940

W: home-start.org.uk

Single Parents

Information for single parents

W: singleparents.org.uk

Family Lives

Support for parents who are reaching crisis point.

T: 0808 800 2222

W: familylives.org.uk

Advice UK

Provides a directory of advice-giving organisations.

W: adviceuk.org.uk


24-hour helpline for confidential emotional support for those experiencing despair or distress.

T: 08457 909090

W: samaritans.org

Rights of Women

Provides free, confidential legal advice on a range of issues including domestic violence, family law, divorce and relationship breakdown.

Free leaflets available to download from the website.

W: rightsofwomen.org.uk

The Parent Practice

General tips on parenting and how to deal with difficult situations with your children.

W: theparentpractice.com

Mental Health Foundation

Information on all aspects of mental health and emotional issues, including addiction and substance abuse.

W: mentalhealth.org.uk


Mental health charity with a range of online support and information, including an information line and a legal advice service.

T: 0300 123 3393

W: mind.org.uk

National Association of Child Contact Centres

Keep children in touch with parents following separation within a national framework of child contact centres and services.

W: naccc.org.uk

Money Advice Service

Information, tools and advice on money issues.

W: moneyadviceservice.org.uk

Only Mums and Only Dads

Two separate websites for single parents. Both provide access to Resolution member solicitors, barristers and mediators free of charge.

W:onlymums.org         Registration has been disabled.

W: onlydads.org


Practical help for families who need more in-depth help to keep their home, or to settle into a new one after being homeless.

T: 0808 800 4444

W: england.shelter.org.uk

W: sheltercymru.org.uk

National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS)

Provides specialist information, advice, advocacy and legal representation for children and young people up to the age of 25.

T: 0808 808 1001

W: www.nyas.net


Provides advice, practical support and campaigns for single parents. Offers factsheets and discussion forums.

T: 0808 802 0925

W: gingerbread.org.uk


Help and advice for adults who are worried about a child or need advice about child protection.

T: 0808 800 5000

W: nspcc.org.uk


Offers a free confidential helpline for children and young people, open 24 hours a day.

T: 0800 1111

W: childline.org.uk

Association for Family Therapy and Systematic Practice

Information on what’s involved in family therapy and a directory of practitioners.

W: www.aft.org.uk

If you are a victim of domestic violence

Women’s Aid

Offers a free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline as well as an online guide ‘The Survivors Handbook’. Children may also benefit from visiting their kids’ website ‘The Hideout’.

T: 0808 2000 247

W: womensaid.org.uk

MALE (men’s advice line and enquiries)

Support and advice for male victims of domestic violence, information for their families and for men who want to change their violent and abusive behaviour.

T: 0808 801 0327

W: mensadviceline.org.uk


Works in partnership with Women’s Aid to provide advice and support to anyone experiencing domestic violence. Provides safe, emergency accommodation throughout the UK.

Website offers a useful help for children section.

T: 0808 2000 247

W: refuge.org.uk

Everyman Project

Offers counselling and support to men who want to change their violent or abusive behaviour.

T: 0203 642 8850.

W: everymanproject.co.uk

Women’s Domestic Violence


Advice, information and telephone counselling. Help in some community languages is available.

T: 0161 636 7525

W: wdachoices.org.uk

When a parent has an addiction

Alcoholics Anonymous

Help for people who think they have a problem with alcohol.

T: 0845 769 7555 or 0800 917 7650

W: alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk


Help to callers worried about their own drinking and support to the family of people who are drinking.

T: 0300 123 1110

W: drinkaware.co.uk


Offers hope and help to families and friends of alcoholics or young people whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking.

W: al-anon.alateen.org


Service dedicated to meeting the health, welfare and legal needs of drugs users and those who live with them.

T: 020 7324 2989

W: release.org.uk

Narcotics Anonymous

Recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean.

T: 0300 999 1212

W: ukna.org


Advice and information for young people about drugs. Free, confidential advice and information about counselling and specialist drug services.

T: 0300 123 6600

W: talktofrank.com

With You

Supports adults, young people and families who have a problem with drugs or alcohol.

W: www.wearewithyou.org.uk

Families Anonymous

National helpline offers free support to anyone affected by the drug abuse of a family member. Nationwide self-help groups are available.

T: 0207 4984 680

W: famanon.org.uk

Gamblers Anonymous

Offers advice for compulsive gamblers and their families.

W: gamblersanonymous.org.uk


Organisation offering meetings for families affected by a gambling problem. Support meetings are available in most areas.

W: gamanon.org.uk


Provides support, information and advice to anyone suffering because of a compulsive gambling problem. Live online advice also available.

T: 0808 8020 133

W: gamcare.org.uk