Miles & Partners
Managing Partner / Joint Head of the Family Department
88-90 Middlesex Street, London
020 7426 0400
- Accepts legal aid
Provides legal aid for
- Family work
- Children work
Kate is a recognised specialist in child care law, and she represents clients in court without the need for a barrister.
The majority of her work is in advising people involved in local authority care proceedings. This includes parents, children, guardians and anyone else who needs to become involved to defend themselves (known as intervenors).
In addition, she has a wealth of experience in representing children where there is disagreement between parents over decisions following a divorce or separation.
The types of cases that Kate has been involved in include:
- representing and advocating for children in interim or long-term care proceedings initiated by the local authority;
- representing children where there is an intractable dispute about child arrangement orders regarding where children will live or whether they are allowed to see a parent;
- advising and representing children when their views differ to that of their parents or guardians, including making assessments of competence and understanding;
- situations involving children who struggle to open up to others, building up trust and communication to ensure that their voice is heard in court;
- non-accidental injury cases and cases of alleged sexual abuse; and
- applications or orders for the deprivation of liberty for a child.
Kate is recognised in the 2020 Legal 500, as ‘outstanding’ and won the 2020 Family Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Award, praised as ‘a brilliant role model who is inspiring the next generation of legal aid lawyers to continue this incredibly important work’ by Juliet Harvey, Resolution national chair. She is also recognised in the 2021 Legal 500 as a ‘recommended lawyer’.