110 Bishopsgate, London
+44 (0) 743 288 9990
- Resolution accredited specialist
- Offers fixed fee interview
- Offers free advice
Michelle is an accomplished matrimonial solicitor, mediator, and collaborative lawyer with extensive expertise in divorce law, romantic contracts; pre and post nuptial agreements, relocation/ child arrangements, and post-separation finances.
Michelle has almost 25 years’ experience assisting separating couples with a particular history of handling cases where high-net-worth assets and cross-jurisdictional concerns are involved.
As a collaborative lawyer and accredited mediator, Michelle’s modus operandi is to use alternative methods of dispute resolution and to look at a family more holistically to avoid court proceedings and achieve a fair and equitable settlement for both parties. As a litigator she is just as tenacious in the court room as she is around the negotiating table.
Michelle is a Partner at Lowry Legal and advises across the whole spectrum of divorce and relationship breakdown, including on financial assets, emergency applications and enforcement orders, spousal maintenance, and re-opening historic settlements. Her cases often have complex, international dimensions, including trusts and off shore assets. Michelle also advises on negotiating pre and post nuptial agreements, using collaborative methods to do so.
Michelle is recommended by The Legal 500 2023 guide as a leading individual and a leading mediator. She is highly regarded by her clients as a pragmatic and professional lawyer and her perceptiveness and compassion is central to her guiding aim of equipping clients to have healthy future relationships, whether through improving co-parenting or divorcing with dignity.
The types of cases that Michelle is usually involved in include:
- disentangling a family’s financial assets after relationship breakdown, while taking into account personal needs and legal rights;
- negotiating settlements for high-net-worth couples, including cases with complex international dimensions involving emergency applications and enforcement orders;
- applications for spousal maintenance; upward and downward variations, including arguments for re-opening of historic settlements;
- the enforcement of a child arrangements order where one parent does not comply with the terms to allow contact with the other parent;
- emergency child arrangements orders including the preventing a child’s name change and applications for leave to remove from the local area and outside the UK;
- drafting and advising on prenuptial agreements, post nuptial agreements and pre-civil registration agreements, including using collaborative law to secure the terms of the agreement; and
- Michelle has a particular expertise in advising on family trust assets and third party intervenor applications.
‘Michelle Uppal is very collaborative, solutions focused, knowledgeable and knows what she is doing. She provides very focused, practical, highly skilled and technical advice.’
‘Michelle Uppal is forthright and robust with a no-nonsense approach. However, she is very approachable and resolves matters holistically and thinks outside the box.’
‘Michelle Uppal is both efficient and effective in achieving successful outcomes. Clients appreciate her frank advice. She is very sharp on both strategy and the law.’
‘Partner and accredited mediator Michelle Uppal combines depth of legal thinking with care and compassion, skills suited to providing an holistic mediation service’
‘Michelle Uppal is very committed to mediation and really tries to make a success of the process.’