Stephens Scown LLP
Osprey House, Malpas Road
Solicitor or legal executive
- Offers free advice
Sarah is a Partner and head of the family team based in Truro. She qualified in March 2006 and has over 15 years of experience advising clients on:
- divorce & both complex and high value financial settlements
- pre/post-nuptial agreements to preserve wealth and protect family businesses
- cohabitation agreements to avoid property disputes between unmarried couples
- child maintenance and financial provision for children of unmarried parents.
She specialises in advising business/farm owners and those with significant inherited wealth on the protection of assets from the impact of relationship breakdown; and their spouses who seek their share of resources. She also acts for professionals and has a in depth understanding of the nuances of public sector pension schemes.
Sarah is ranked as a Band 1 ‘Leader in her Field’ in Chambers and Partners.
Chambers 2020 – Sarah is noted for her expertise in financial remedy proceedings, as well as in pre-marital and post-marital agreements. Interviewees report that she is “easy to communicate with, and has in mind the best interest of the client.” One client attests: “Sarah is an excellent listener and very capable of enabling divorce with dignity. She is academic but also practical.”
Legal 500 (2020) – Next Generation Partner – “Sarah Atkinson is the youngest and most capable team head I know.”
Chambers 2019 – “Sarah’s approach was friendly, calm and positive from start to finish. She was always available to discuss matters and provide support, and her professionalism and guidance very much made me feel in safe hands.”
Chambers 2018 – recognised for her work with “high net worth individuals on financial settlements, and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. She is also well versed in cohabitation agreements.”
Legal 500 UK 2017 – ‘knowledgeable and diligent’. Legal 500 is an independent guide to the legal profession who recognises top lawyers.
Her work includes:
- Acting for a husband whose family company was part owned by him and his wife – securing the transfer of the wife’s shares to him and a clean break settlement.
- Advising a wife whose husband failed to provide full and accurate disclosure of his financial circumstances and eventually obtaining the relevant information to ensure a fair settlement.
- Acting for the wife of a public sector worker to achieve an equal share of his valuable pension scheme in addition to half of the capital assets.
- Advising high net worth individuals on post nuptial agreements to protect their assets in the event of a future breakdown in their marriage.
- Representing a wife challenging a pre-nuptial agreement and seeking greater provision to meet her needs.
- Helping a client preserve his valuable Navy pension built up during the 25 years after he separated from his wife despite her subsequent financial application to the court 22 years after their divorce.
Sarah is a member of Resolution and promotes a constructive approach to resolving family issues. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends – on the beach, swimming and camping. She also loves music and is a regular Glastonbury festival goer.