Watkins & Gunn
Partner and Head of Family Team
Sussex House, 17 Gold Tops, Newport
Collaborative Practitioner | Solicitor or legal executive
- Resolution accredited specialist
Sophie is a Partner at Watkins and Gunn and Head of the Family Team.
She is highly regarded by clients and other lawyers for her expertise in ‘private’ family law matters, including divorce, financial arrangements on divorce and cohabitation disputes; with particular expertise in high value/complex and international cases.
Sophie trained in London with a ‘magic circle’ firm (the name given to the most aspired to / leading law firms based in the UK) of divorce lawyers. After two years post-qualification experience she went to work with what was then a large South London practice. Sophie became a Partner by the age of 30, thanks to her passion for family law and business focus. She moved out of London in 1997 to live closer to family and, after a short career break, returned to work for a highly regarded Worcester based Midlands practice. Sophie joined Watkins & Gunn in 2003.
Her unwavering passion for clients, her solution-led approach and her empathic and professional stance on all her clients’ matters have given Sophie an enviable reputation within the legal sector and beyond. Year on year, she is singled out as a leader in her field in both the Chambers UK Guide and the Legal 500 Directory.
– The Legal 500 2018 directory listed Sophie as a leading lawyer in the Private Client (Family Law) section for Wales.
“Department head Sophie Hughes of Watkins & Gunn specialises in matrimonial finance. She represents clients on cases of complex and high-value financial division, as well as providing a collaborative law service. According to market sources, she is a “very impressive practitioner who brings great professionalism.”
– The Chambers UK Guide 2018, Matrimonial / Family Law listing for Sophie.
Sophie regularly contributes to programmes and articles on family law matters in the national press in Wales (Western Mail and BBC Radio Wales) and beyond.
- Resolution (formerly the Solicitors Family Law Association) member
- Accredited Specialist of Resolution. (the first lawyer in Wales to be accredited for both small and big money cases)
- Law Society Family Law Panel Member
- Collaborative Lawyer
- Chair of South Wales region of Resolution & formerly a member of its International Committee
- Yeoman of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries