Watkins & Gunn
Partner and Head of Family Team
Sussex House, 17 Gold Tops
Collaborative Practitioner | Solicitor or legal executive
- Resolution accredited specialist
Sophie is a Partner at Watkins and Gunn and Head of the Family Team.
She is highly regarded by clients and other lawyers for her expertise in ‘private’ family law matters, including divorce, financial arrangements on divorce and cohabitation disputes; with particular expertise in high value/complex and international cases.
Sophie trained in London with a ‘magic circle’ firm (the name given to the most aspired to / leading law firms based in the UK) of divorce lawyers. After two years post-qualification experience she went to work with what was then a large South London practice. Sophie became a Partner by the age of 30, thanks to her passion for family law and business focus. She moved out of London in 1997 to live closer to family and, after a short career break, returned to work for a highly regarded Worcester based Midlands practice. Sophie joined Watkins & Gunn in 2003.
Her unwavering passion for clients, her solution-led approach and her empathic and professional stance on all her clients’ matters have given Sophie an enviable reputation within the legal sector and beyond. Year on year, she is singled out as a leader in her field in both the Chambers UK Guide and the Legal 500 Directory.
– The Legal 500 2020 directory listed Sophie as a leading lawyer in the Private Client (Family Law) section for Wales.
“The ‘excellent’ Sophie Hughes has vast experience in the market and is noted for her collaborative approach to handling matters, which often involve highly complex financial arrangements.”
– The Chambers UK Guide 2021, Matrimonial / Family Law listing for Sophie.
Sophie Hughes excels in the field of private family law, advising on matrimonial finance. A source reports:
“She is excellent: supremely calm and measured, and a very able negotiator and tactician.”
- Resolution (formerly the Solicitors Family Law Association) member
- Accredited Specialist of Resolution. (the first lawyer in Wales to be accredited for both small and big money cases)
- Law Society Family Law Panel Member
- Collaborative Lawyer
- Yeoman of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries
- Member of the Family Law Society Family Law Committee
- Former Chair of South Wales region of Resolution & formerly a member of its International Committee