Important Changes to Contested Financial Remedy Applications

Back to news

From the 15th February 2021, HMCTS are asking users to send their Contested FR Applications directly to the Financial Remedy Centre (FRC) that is local to the Applicant, rather than sending them to the Regional Divorce Centres (RDC). You should send your application to the FRC, regardless of whether the divorce petition was issued online or on paper. A list of the FRCs can be found here.

You can also make your application for Contested FR online if you intend to use one of the FRCs listed below:

  • East Midlands (Nottingham)
  • London (Central Family Court)
  • Cheshire & Merseyside (Liverpool)
  • Kent, Surrey & Sussex (Medway)
  • Humber & South Yorkshire (Sheffield)
  • North & West Yorkshire (Leeds)
  • Cleveland, Durham & Northumbria (Newcastle)

Applications issued online must meet the scope of the pilot – i.e. they must be in relation to divorce proceedings and must not include an element of maintenance pending suit.

Following mandation of the online Consent Order Journey in August 2020, Consent Applications FR that meet the scope of PD 41B should be issued online. Otherwise, you should submit the Consent Order Application to the Regional Divorce Centre. If a Consent Application subsequently requires a hearing, the application will be transferred to the local Court for hearing while the Divorce case will continue at the Regional Divorce Centre / CTSC.

As this is an administrative change there will be no changes to the Family Procedure Rules or any application forms/guidance documents.

Where possible, if you cannot lodge your application online, you should submit the application via email to the court, where you will be able to pay by PBA, or Card. 

Any feedback regarding these changes can be provided via email to the Financial Remedy Team.