Melbourne House, 46 Aldwych, Holborn,
Mediator | Collaborative Practitioner | Arbitrator | Solicitor or legal executive
- Resolution accredited specialist
I am a solicitor, arbitrator, mediator and collaborative lawyer. When advising, it’s all about helping clients to make wise choices: identifying and pursuing the options now that will continue to make sense three months, three years or even thirty years down the road. This involves giving the time they need when they need it and ensuring we have the technical knowledge, the resources and the contacts that will help clients to manage the challenges well and within a budget they can afford.
The leading legal directories Chambers UK and The Legal 500 UK have listed James as a top ranked, leading individual in the field of family law and family mediation for many years, with The Legal 500 UK 2020 ranking him in the “Hall of Fame” and noting that he is “breathtakingly knowledgeable“. Comments on his family mediation expertise in the 2020 edition include: ‘James Pirrie goes above and beyond to think through the answer for clients. He works incredibly hard and should be very proud of his output. He is a real thinker. Very balanced and fair‘.
Previous editions of The Legal 500 UK note: “James Pirrie is another ace at the boutique firm”, he is “a trail blazer in dispute resolution and thinking outside the box. He really understands family dynamics”, “he is ahead of the times with his initiative…a renowned litigator…at the forefront of dispute resolution” and “hugely knowledgeable”. Legal 500 UK 2017 notes that James has “considerable experience and sensitivity in these (family mediation) matters. He has the skill and understanding to know when to see the parties separately but also when to engage with the parties’ lawyers more directly.”
Chambers UK 2020, describe James as a “master strategist” who is “the font of all knowledge” in family law. Chambers UK 2017 notes that James is “absolutely exceptional, a real conciliator but incredibly robust when he needs to be.” The 2018 edition quotes a source “He is one of the brightest lawyers I know and has no hesitation in going the extra mile on behalf of clients.” Chambers HNW 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 name James as a leading family lawyer – “he is praised by sources for his “academic and practical” approach. A specialist in complex financial issues, he is notable for assisting clients through collaborative law and ADR, and is frequently involved in Child Support Act cases“…”the cleverest family lawyer I’ve ever come across” “the doyen of child maintenance…..his particular expertise is his encyclopaedic knowledge of child maintenance regulations” “He combines a facilitative anti-confrontation stance with an amazing knowledge of the law but he can fight when necessary”,“James is a gifted lawyer,” says a London family barrister, explaining: “He is intelligent, personable and pragmatic – a rare combination. He is an acclaimed guru on all matters to do with child support and has a real interest in questioning the law and what it can do for his clients”.
Naming James as a prominent figure in the family and matrimonial field in the Citywealth Leaders Lists 2017, 2016 and 2015, Citywealth describes James as “smart and very able”. James was named winner of Resolution’s John Cornwell Award 2014 which recognises lawyers who have gone above and beyond the norm in their work to support separating families. He was named as a leading family lawyer by Best Lawyers 2020.
- helped lead Resolution’s jubilee initiative, Parentings after Parting and continues to place the needs of children centrally within the work that he does;
- He has undertaken the financial planners’ training (up to FPC and G10) and has written for and delivered lectures to the legal and accountancy professions on a range of financial/ matrimonial issues.
- He writes and lectures on conflict resolution, negotiation, child support, financial provision for children (Schedule 1 cases), enforcement, emergency procedures, spousal maintenance and financial remedies.
- James is accredited in finance and cohabitation cases by Resolution and has set the child financial accreditation paper since its inception. As a specialist in child maintenance, James appeared before the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee to talk about the practical impact of the introduction of the new Child Maintenance Scheme.
- James is author of “Towards the Light: A Way Through Divorce and Separation” (2017) and “Divorce: a route map” (2021) guides for individuals going through a divorce and separation.