litigants in person

Financial Applications

It is important when getting divorced, or when dissolving a civil partnership, to consider the financial issues that arise out of the separation. Most couples try to reach a financial settlement without having to ask the court to determine their financial claims, however, some couples are not able to come to an agreement in relation to their finances and need to make a financial application to the court. Where an application is made the couple will still be encouraged to try and come to a settlement themselves within those proceedings but ultimately a judge will impose an outcome on them if they cannot. Below we set out the court process.

Litigants in Person Committee

The Litigants in Person (LiPs) Committee was set up to respond to the increasing number of LiPs in the family justice system. They help members working with LiPs and they help LiPs with information to improve their experience of the system.

Application for a Divorce

You can apply for a divorce if you have been married for more than a year and can show that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. Currently this is done by proving one of five facts – adultery, behaviour, desertion, 2 years separation with consent, or 5 years separation.